Saturday, January 30, 2021

Quarantine Reading 2020 Wrapup: Part VII

The final chapter!

This is the part of the year where I was like, "eh, what's 15 more books?" Which is a ridiculous statement that no one should ever be able to say! I had too much time on my hands and a willingness to avoid doing almost anything else. I'm not even certain I watched a movie during the last....half of 2020. Ah well, here we are.

The List Part G (and technically part of H, if we're dividing by 50s): 301-365

301. The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh - Everyone has a secret in this small isolated town. When someone starts murdering them one by one, how will they save themselves?

302. Rascal by Jean-Luc Deglin - Cute graphic novel about a cat and their owner.

303. Celebrating Time Alone: Stories of Splendid Solitude by Lionel Fisher - Good to read while quarantined in a full house! Sign me up for my own apartment, please and thank you!

304. Spillover: Animal infections and the next human pandemic by David QuammenGood god this was not the year to read this book. But also, the perfect year? It’s nonfiction but could also be shelved in horror, thanks 2020

305. Saga Vol. 2 (issues 7-12) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples - Important to read in order, and everyone should read it.

306. O is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton - O is for Oh, actually I liked this one.

307. Chase darkness with me by Billy Jensen - Great option for fans of My Favorite Murder and related podcasts. Jensen talks about how to investigate crimes in real life. I like that this is a little more considerate about the human impact of crimes than a lot of true crime stuff can be.

308. Dracula, Motherfucker by Alex de Campi and Erica Henderson - Absolutely gorgeous graphic novel inspired by Blaxsploitation films

309. The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill - Cute kid’s book about tea dragons!

310. Hedy Lamarr: An Incredible Life by William Roy -  I learned that Hoopla was doing a “Bonus Borrows” program so that you could have unlimited reads of a selection of novels during the pandemic….during the last month they hosted it, damn it. But I’m glad I picked this up, Hedy Lamarr was a fascinating woman and I wouldn’t have read this without the “pressure” of choosing just the right book from my 10-a-month-limit taken off.

311. Saga Vol. 3 (issues 13-18) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples - Not a heartwarming series but I love love love it.

312. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan - This is physically associated fro me with pulling blackberry weeds since that's when I listened to it. Achingly sad but very good story - just agree with yourself to suspend your disbelief about a couple plot points.

313. Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz - Second in the Raven's Gate series, and has some uncomfortable brown face issues (surely there is a more responsible way for your protagonist to disguise themselves in South America rather than having them dye their skin brown?)

314. The Word for Woman is Wilderness by Abi Andrews - Reads like a true travelogue, but is entirely fiction.

315. Luisa: Now and Then by Carole Maurel -  I mentally called this “Louisa Once in a While” and it wasn’t until I tried to find it on Goodreads that I realized I was wrong. Graphic novel coming of age story, about a woman who suddenly has to babysit herself from the past. I liked it a lot.

316. At the end of your tether by Adam Smith - Noir-style graphic novel about a teenage boy searching for his missing ex-girlfriend and unburying secrets. I didn't really like the art but I did really like that his mom is a body builder, it was a nice contrast to a lot of ways that women are usually portrayed in comics.

317. Laughing at my nightmare by Shane Burcaw - Memoir about growing up with spinal muscular atrophy. Really funny and informative.

318. Unspeakable Acts: True Tales of Crime, Murder, Deceit, and Obsession by Sarah Weinman - Anthology of excellent recent true crime essays. Audiobook recommended. It starts with the murder of Dee Dee Blanchard which is just a mind-boggling story.

319. The house next door by Anne River Siddons - 1970s haunted house horror. Excellent "foundational" book if you're into horror fiction. Also contains one of the best, WASP-iest lines I've ever read in a book:

In the gourmet department, where Walter was foraging for the almond-stuffed olives he favors for martinis, we ran into Eloise Jennings clutching a round wooden box of Brie. Semmes's touch, I knew. Eloise is Cheez-Whiz material.


320. Border : a journey to the edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova - Narrative nonfiction about the border zones of Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece. Absolutely important book about a part of European history that often gets left out, and beautifully written.

321. The Hike by Drew Magary - I checked this book out from the library and it sat for pretty much a full year because I just wasn’t feeling it. Then I finally picked it up and blasted through the thing and stayed up way too late to finish it. It’s hilarious and well-plotted and just way too much fun. Don’t let the blurb about it being “the next Palahniuk” turn you off, that really just means it’s a male author who writes weird fiction.

322. A furious sky: The five-hundred year history of America's hurricanes by Eric Jay Dolin - I just can't with books about weather. It's so dull! But if you think it's interesting, this is a really great book.

323. Rose Vol. 1: A Double Life by Denis Lapière, Émilie Alibert and Valérie Vernay - Great graphic novel mystery about a young girl who has the ability to travel out-of-body.

324. Just Beyond: the Scare School by R.L. Stine - "Fun" fact! I wasn't allowed to read Goosebumps growing up, so this is technically my first Goosebumps story ever. Twilight Zone for kids, what's not to like about it?

325. Fence Vol. 1 by C. S. Pacat, Johanna the Mad, Joana LaFuente - See, this is what I was expecting with Check Please! Gay sports romance - loved Check Please!, totally meh about Fence.

326. Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona - Yayyy Ms Marvel! Great envisioning of the story.

326. The Silent Invasion: Red Shadows by Larry Hancock - I see what he's wanting to do, but the art made it so dang hard to follow the story, I couldn't be bothered with this at all.

327. Everything is an emergency by Jason Adam Katzenstein - Funny/sad graphic memoir about growing up with OCD. Recommended!

328. The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix - GRADYYYY HENDRIIIIIIXXXXX! Loved it. Best summarized by the author: “I wanted to write about how my mom would deal with a vampire.” (not an exact quote since I’m remembering from the audiobook). I've seen some reviews that talk about how boring the story is, but I think the pacing is actually what I like about it. It's a character study sort of horror story - and that will either make you say please yes or please no, no in between.

329. Rest in Pieces: The Curious Fates of Famous Corpses by Bess Lovejoy - Not terrible. Collection of short essays about what happens to the bodies of famous people.

330. The long call by Ann Cleeves - Ann Cleeves is one of my favorite authors, so I’m pretty excited she has another series out. Also! The protagonist is a gay male and he's in a loving caring relationship and I have ZERO trust that Cleeves will let that stay that way through the rest of the series :/

331. Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton - So good I read it twice! Almost precisely the right length for Sawyer and I to listen to it on the drive to and from Seattle.

332. High Crimes by Christopher Sebela and Ibrahim Moustafa - Graphic novel about murder and mountaineering, so this was an obvious must-read for me.

333. A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II by Sonia Purnell - WOW. "It reads like a novel" is such a cliche review for a book but I kid you not, this reads like a thriller.

334. Dr. Mütter's Marvels by Cristin O'keefe Aptowicz - The Mütter Museum is one of my ultimate destinations, so I was really excited to read this biography. And good news! Dr. Mütter is way less problematic than I expected for a man of his times!

335. Untamed Shore by Silvia Moreno-Garcia - This book blew me away. Dark and menacing and intense.

336. The last house guest by Megan Miranda - I liked the concept, but is a little too...emo? for me to really recommend it.

337. Action Park by Andy Mulvihill, Jake Rossen - This book is one enormous pratfall. It's hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. See also the documentary Class Action Park.

338. Saga Vol. 4 (issues 19-24) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples - Oooh things are getting darker!

339. Agence Interpol Vol. 1: Mexico - La Muerte by Philippe Therault and Marty - Ridiculously full of machismo but a decent noir thriller graphic novel.

340. Bitter Root, Vol. 1 by David F. Walker, Chuck Brown, and Sanford Greene - Great graphic novel introduction with a socially justice lens (but not heavy-handed at all). Recommended!

341. Black Dahlia by Rick Geary - Geary writes true crime graphic novels. They're usually pretty dense with writing (more heavily illustrated essay than a graphic novel). The Black Dahlia murder is infuriating and this is a really good introduction to it.

342. Brittania, Vol. 1 by Peter Milligan, Juan José Ryp and Raul Allen - Meh. I will say the artistic version of Nero was spot on (so far as we know)

343. The great indoors by Emily Anthes - An introspective nonfiction book about what it means to live indoors.

344. Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor - Gonna read this whole series! It's fluffy but I liked it a lot. Fun well-plotted time travelling science fiction. Trigger warning for rape attempt (although may be cathartic due to the assaulter’s immediate comeuppance which I will not spoil for you here).

345. The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James - I avoided reading this for a bit because with a title like “Sun-Down Motel”, I thought it would be about sundown towns and I just could not get myself into the right headspace for such a downer. But this has nothing to do with the heinous racism in America and is instead a pretty basic haunted hotel story. Recommended but suspend your disbelief at the door.

346. The Microbe Hunters by Paul de Kruif - I read this because I've heard it referenced as "the book that started my interest in microbiology" by many folks. Unfortunately, it's racist as shit, including casual usage of the N-word, so absolutely not recommended unless you're needing an example of enduring racism in science education (this got a re-publication in 2002!)

347. A Song for Quiet (Persons Non Grata #2) by Cassandra Khaw - Another noir HP Lovecraft novella, and I liked it even better than the first one.

348. Diary of a murderer: and other stories by Young-Ha Kim, Krys Lee (trans.) - Great anthology but I liked the first story the absolute best which made all the other ones seem worse in comparison.

349. No straight lines: four decades of queer comics by Justin Hall (ed.) - Super important history. I feel like queer comics are how I found out a lot of information and community before I was able to find more people like me so I will always love them.

350. The mountains wild by Sarah Stewart Taylor - Irish police procedural. Solid entry into this genre.

351. Saga Vol. 5 (issues 25-30) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples
352. Saga Vol. 6 (issues 31-36) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples


353. An Age of License by Lucy Knisley - Travelogue graphic memoir. Lucy Knisley is always great.

354. A Gift for a Ghost by Borja Gonzalez -  Recently translated Spanish surrealist graphic novel that plays with parallel dimensions.

355. The Banks by Roxane Gay, Ming Doyle - Basically Ocean’s 11 and so, so much fun.

356. I will judge you by your bookshelf by Grant Snider - Eh, it was fine. Kind of twee. Feels like the type of book that I’ll be gifted multiple times in my life since I’m a librarian and I’m supposed to be obsessed with books as a physical item.

357. Saga Vol. 7 (issues 37-42) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples - <3

358. Basketful of Heads by Joe Hill and Leomacs - Yes, yes, YES! This is classic horror comics revised for today. I am SO excited for the rest of this series. All it needs is Uncle Creepy to give an intro/outro.

359. Saga Vol. 8 (issues 43-48) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples - <3

360. Veritas: a Harvard professor, a con man and the gospel of Jesus' wife by Ariel Sabar -  Great audiobook. A little bit thin on story to hang that long of an book on, but it’s interesting enough that even the repetitive parts are worth it.

361. P is for Peril by Sue Grafton - It’s a good car listen, what can I say?

362. Our lost explorers: the narrative of the Jeannette Arctic Expedition by George W De Long - I put this as recommended because I want people to understand and adore polar expedition travelogues as much as I do.

363. A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn - Super long and absolutely worth it.

364. Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder: Pronged Ants, Horned Humans, Mice on Toast, and Other Marvels of Jurassic Technology by Lawrence Weschler - The title of this book is almost longer than the book itself. It's interesting!

365. These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore - And the best follow-up to People's History. This was hard to get into, but once I listened a little longer, I was completely sucked in. Just as important as People's History, if not more so as it covers even more recent history including the rise of Tr*mp.

366. Buzz: a stimulating history of the sex toy by Hallie Lieberman - Decided to end the year on a bang. Absolutely fun and fascinating history, so recommended.

And that's it! 366 books in a year, I don't recommend it, but I do recommend the books I highlighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment